For the ninth year in a row, it was announced that Yamaha had won the Red Dot - Product Design Award, for their 2020 Ténéré 700 motorcycle. This was a huge accomplishment for Yamaha, engraving the Ténéré 700 as one of their flagship adventure bikes.
The Red Dot Design Awards, organised by Germany's Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen, are widely recognised as being the most prestigious design awards in the world. Classed within 3 award categories, Product Design, Brand and Communication and Design Concept, winners are annually announced, highlighting the year's greatest designs. Whether aesthetically appealing, functional, smart or innovative, all award-winning products share the common appraisal of outstanding design quality.
Inspired by the highly durable rally bikes that take on the infamous Dakar Rally, the Ténéré 700 is an adventure tourer that features a 689cm3 water-cooled, in-line 2-cylinder, 270° crank engine, mounted on a lightweight body.
Sound familiar? Well, the engine was pulled straight from the MT-07/ XSR700 models and re-tuned for an adventure chassis. Producing 74 Hp and 68 Nm of torque, the motor won’t tear your arms off, yet will still keep you on your toes. It’s a perfect blend of power and controllable torque, allowing for thrilling off-road adventure riding and street use.
Depending on your throttle abuse, the 16L tank will average roughly 350km+, which is rather fuel-efficient for the engine. One of the most remarkable qualities of the bike is how it handles. This is largely due to the fully adjustable KYB suspension, front and rear. The 43mm open-cartridge forks allow over eight inches of travel and includes bleeder valves to relieve the pressure built from use and altitude. The rear shocks provide almost eight inches of travel and offer a handy knob for quick spring-preload adjustments. It gives riders a sense of confidence, pushing them to corner more aggressively and battle harsher terrain.
It’s simple, yet brilliant engineering, making it one of the most desirable adventure bikes on the market.
With a comfortable riding position, high durability and needing low maintenance, the Ténéré 700 balances off-roading, adventure, and touring performance to perfection.
Yamaha 2020 Ténéré Key Technical Features
- High-torque 689cc 4-stroke CP2 parallel-twin engine
- New lightweight double cradle tubular steel frame
- Slim, compact and ergonomic body and seat
- Aggressive rally-bred face with four LED headlights and two LED position lights
- Adjustable long-travel 43mm upside down forks with 210mm travel
- Remotely adjustable link-type rear suspension with 200mm travel
- Compact rally style cockpit with tapered handlebars
- 21-inch/18-inch lightweight spoked wheels with adventure tyres
- Slim long-range fuel tank with 16-litre capacity for 350km+ range
- Compact rally-style multi-function instruments
- Switchable ABS for on the fly adjustment
- Screen and handguards give good rider protection
FIND YOUR LOCAL TEAMMOTO YAMAHA DEALER TO ENQUIRE TODAY
Wanting to keep up with the latest news, events, reviews and specials? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter today, and stay in touch with current releases, exciting motorcycling events and be the first to hear about our upcoming specials.